Thursday, May 27, 2010

Easy to Fix

So I have stumbled upon two episodes of Glee (it's a personal brocard of mine not to hate something until I've experienced it) and my response is... I don't know.

Obviously, the allure of the show is all the show and contemporary (but especially the show) tunes. I'll admit, I liked it. Seeing Idina Menzel sing I Dreamed a Dream really made me happy. It reminded of the first time I hear Defying Gravity (one of the all time greatest songs ever). The other girl, what's-her-face, just seem to get in the way. And that's kind of how the show goes.

The entire thing revolves around these musical numbers, but everything else gets in the way: the acting, the overly-dramatic stories, the high school setting, and especially the attempting-to-be-overly-sympathetic-and-likable characters. The entire thing comes off as "either you're with us, or you're against us". You are either Glee - quirky-yet-lovable misfits - or not - pure unadulterated evil incarnate. It's kind of annoying. I like to hear them sing, but I can't stand to hear them talk because nothing they say is pertinent to anything anywhere.

That's where Glee falls flat on it's face. The premise is good; it's a premise that people enjoy - even though they would never admit to it: a live-action show that occasionally busts out into song. That's the hook and that's all it should be. They shouldn't need to justify people singing 3 times an episode by having the "story" revolve around a high school glee club (whatever that is). It should be a normal show (ala Lost, Grey's Anatomy, or Law and Order) with characters you naturally like and sympathize with and a story that is intriguing in of itself, and then have them sing on top of it. Yes it would be gimmicky, but it already is. Making the premise of the show revolve around a glee club-cheerleader rivalry doesn't justify or excuse it away.

So please, get rid of all the bad aspects of Glee (everything except the music), and allow us closet Broadway connoisseurs to enjoy the good parts without leaving a bad after taste.

That's my rant


edit: listening to Glee songs on youtube almost remedies this. It allows you to listen to the music while almost being able to pretend the show doesn't exist. ALMOST.

====

1 comment:

Eric said...

Change a few pronouns and this sounds almost like your critique of Avatar. And I don't see a strong or intentional use of Dualism (you're one of us or you're not) in Glee. Glee simply is not that deep. Neither was Avatar