Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gain

I'm glad I can't sing and I know it...
Because now I can watch American Idol and not be jealous of the contestants.

I'm glad I have to commute to school...
Because now I can sing on my way to school and not hurt anyone's ears.

I'm glad I'm not the best at anything...
Because now I have something to strive for.

I'm glad I realize not being the best isn't justification for not doing...
Because now I can do things for the joy of it.

I'm glad I'm not artistic...
Because now I can appreciate that which I can't do.

I'm glad I'm single...
Because now I have a degree of freedom that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm glad that I don't have complete freedom...
Because now I know I'm not completely alone.

I'm glad I have people who love me, but don't seek out my company...
Because now I know there are so many that I can go to for help, but I am not bogged down with obligations.

I am glad that I come from a family of high expectations...
Because now I'm further than I would've ever been without their pushing.

I'm glad I've fallen...
Because now I know how to pick myself up.

I'm glad I've failed...
Because now I know failing isn't the end of the world.

I'm glad I've been sad...
Because now I know how to treasure joy.

I'm glad no one reads my blog...
Because now I'm free to write whatever I want.

===

4 comments:

Lynzy and Keith said...

Excuse me?!? no one reads your blog?! For your information, my other religion is "reading Ryan's Blog." I love it.

This post was uplifting and made me think about things, thank you! I'm glad I have THEE MOST BORING JOB ON THE PLANET, becuase i have time to read my friend's blogs :)

Court said...

So beautifully poetic! I loved it!

Teresa said...

Ryan, I love your list! It got me thinking about what I'm glad for and why. I can't match any of yours, but try this one: "I'm glad we chose to move to Springville many years ago because otherwise we might have missed getting to know our very best neighbors ever!

Jeremiah Nielson said...

i glad you write your blog...
because i live in las vegas and never get to see you :)

love, court